Submissions for Issue No.3, the “Coexistence” issue, are NOW OPEN through June 30th, 2018!
What We’re Looking For
WCP is looking for stories to publish in Issue No.3 (theme: “Coexistence”) of its magazine, Weird City. These stories should:
- Fit the Issue No.3 theme of “Coexistence”. Click here for theme details.
- Be well-written and carefully proofread. Stories with obvious or gratuitous typos or grammatical errors will be disregarded.
- Be formatted according to the William Shunn Manuscript Format, including the following:
- Font: Courier New or Courier, 12pt.
- Spacing: Double-spaced.
- Margins: At least 1″ on each side.
- Italicized Words: Underline italicized words and remove italics.
- File Format: *.doc, *.docx, or equivalent format.
- Be original works — no copied works, fanfics, or reinterpretations. We also discourage incorporating distinct elements from other works into yours (e.g. We don’t want to see Cthulhu stories).
- Be self-contained, standalone stories. No chapter excerpts please.
- Be between 2000 and 10000 words.
In case you’re wondering: YES, we do accept simultaneous submissions.
What We’re NOT Looking For
- Multiple submissions. Submit one story at a time, please.
- Reprints. We’re buying first publication rights only.
- First drafts. Rough stories or those with obvious or gratuitous typos or grammatical errors will be disregarded.
- Cliches. We agree that it’s all been done, but we are not looking for stories that rely on cliches or tropes.
- Smut. We at WCP have nothing against erotica, smut, or dirty writing, but we’re not looking to publish it.
- Offensive material. That includes everything you think it does: racism, bigotry, sexism, etc. Yes, a character in a story may be a racist (for example) but know the difference between this and ideology pushing.
- That one story you just couldn’t get published anywhere else. Don’t make us your safety school.
Rates & Rights
At this time, WCP is using a progressive payment scale (listed below) for accepted submissions. This payment is for first publication, English language rights under a limited contract. The scale is as follows:
- For the first 2000 – 3000 words: 1 cent per word, for a total payment between $20 – $30.
- For the next 2500 words (word 3001 to 5500): 1.25 cents per word, for a total payment between $30.02 – $61.25.
- For the next 2000 words (word 5501 to 7500): 1 cent per word, for a total payment between $61.26 – $81.25.
- For words above 7500 (up to 10000): 0.25 cent per word, for a total payment between: $81.26 to $87.50.
How To Submit A Story
If you have a story that meets our guidelines above that you would like to submit for consideration in Weird City Issue No.3, please follow these instructions:
- Draft an email to email@example.com.
- Set your subject line to: [WCNO3] (Your Story Title) by (Your Name)
- For example, if your story is called “Buttons” and your name is Johnny Smith, your subject line would be: [WCNO3] Buttons by Johnny Smith
- Please include a brief note that mentions:
- A 1-2 line summary of your story.
- Your story’s word count.
- Why you would like your story to be considered for Weird City.
- Any accolades or publishing credits you wish to share.
- Attach your story as a *.doc, *.docx or equivalent format making sure you have followed the formatting guidelines above.